Every year Food and Wine Magazine honors a handful of the country’s most standout wine professionals, naming them Sommeliers of the Year. This year, our very own Director of Wholesale Accounts, Andrey Ivanov, was given the #3 spot, a truly high honor.
He was featured for his position as sommelier at his recently opened restaurant, Reeds American Table, in St. Louis. There he has created a top-notch wine program and along with his fellow staff, an amazing menu in an approachable and welcoming atmosphere.
Andrey is passionate about traveling the world to taste and discover wines, just like we are, and Food and Wine Magazine made sure to point that out, sharing stories of his visit to Spain where he enjoyed “the best example of Albariño-period” and tasted with Jerez cellar master Ana Cabestrero.
Andrey is no newcomer to honors. Just take a look at this crazy list (we’re not afraid to brag about him!):
- Rudd Scholar (Top Score in Advanced Sommelier Exam, Court of Master Sommeliers): 2011
- Johnston Medal Winner (Top Score in US for Advanced Sommelier Exam, Court of Master Sommeliers): 2011
- Top New Somm Midwest Regional Winner: 2012, 2013, 2014
- Top Somm Midwest Regional Winner: 2015
- Top Somm National Sommelier Championship 3rd Place: 2015
- Chaine des Rotisseurs Best Young Sommelier Midwest Region Finalist: 2011, 2012
- Chaine des Rotisseurs Best Young Sommelier Midwest Region Winner: 2013, 2014, 2015
- Chaine des Rotisseurs Best Young Sommelier National Championship 2nd Place: 2014
- Chaine des Rotisseurs Best Young Sommelier National Championship Winner: 2015
- Wine & Spirits Magazine Best New Sommelier: 2013
- Wine Enthusiast Magazine Top 100 Wine Restaurants in America: Elaia & Olio: 2014, 2015
- Wine Enthusiast Magazine Top 100 Wine Restaurants in America: Reeds American Table: 2016
- Wine Enthusiast Top 40 Under 40 Tastemakers: 2015
- Food & Wine Magazine Top Sommeliers of the Year: 2016
- TEXSOM International Wine Awards – Sommelier Panel: 2015, 2016
- TEXSOM Staff: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Jefferson Cup US Wine Competition Judge: 2011, 2013, 2014
- Missouri State Wine Competition Judge: 2012, 2013, 2015
We first met Andrey after he toured Portugal and happened to fall in love with the wines from producer João Tavares de Pina, for whom Bliss Wine Imports had just become the exclusive United States wine importer. When Andrey contacted us to order wines for his soon to be opening restaurant, Reeds American Table, we quickly realized he would be more than just our first restaurant customer, but that a partnership was in our future.
We’re incredibly proud and appreciative to have Andrey Ivanov as such an important part of our growing wholesale business and we want to congratulate him on this recognition and on his already long list of accomplishments and talents.